Monday, July 2, 2012

Stripes and Flowers

 

I’ve been wanting to play with mixing stripes and florals for a while now, and when I saw this cute little cropped top at Aeropostale for $5, I just HAD to grab it. 




I didn’t feel comfortable enough to wear the top by itself (not only is it cropped, but it’s a little sheer), so I decided to layer it with a tank top in the same color as the stripes. I thought about using a contrasting color, like mint green or navy, but I felt that using a tank of the same color would elongate my torso. Maybe I’ll try using another color next time.

I’ve always loved stripes, and florals have become a recent favorite, so when I saw them being mixed in various fashion magazines, I decided to try the trend. What really pulls two completely different patterns together is color. If you’ll notice, there are coral stripes in my shirt, I have on a coral tank top, and there are some coral flowers in my skirt, so that’s my tie-in color. If I’d picked a different skirt, say one with a black background and purple flowers, I might have used a black and white striped shirt instead. You also want to break up the patterns using either a belt or a tank.












Since my outfit was so complicated, I decided to stick to neutral shoes. These ballet flats are really comfortable, and since they’re nearly the same color as my skin, they go with practically everything. They’re actually my spare shoes – they fold up and become small enough to fit in my purse. This is super handy when my heels give me trouble – I plan on keeping these in my office for emergencies!























I decided to play up the blue in the skirt with this necklace's blue and purple beads, especially since there was so much coral in my outfit. Because this necklace has a tassel, it’s on a shorter chain to compensate for the pendant’s extra length.


This was the first time that my boyfriend took pictures for me. Didn’t he do a good job?




Necklace: Old Navy from Change Clothes
Shirt: Aeropostale
Tank: from Imagine Boutique
Skirt: American Eagle Outfitters
Shoes: Gap

Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment