Friday, June 17, 2011

Something New

So, I've decided to do something called the 30 for 30 Challenge, which I first read about on the blog Kendi Everyday (which is a fantastically fun blog, by the way). Essentially, I pick thirty items from my closet (including shoes, but not accessories), make those into thirty different outfits, and wear them for thirty days. I'm also not going to buy any clothing or shoes during those thirty days, though I'm not going to let that exclude me from things like jewelry, hats, or lingerie ;-). Anyway, this is supposed to encourage, not only budgeting, but originality, which it's doing so far. I've made a list plotting out everything I'm going to be wearing on a day-to-day basis, and though I may deviate from that list, it's helped a lot. Now I don't have to think as much about my clothes because I've already done it! Go me!

I also found myself pulling out items (like my floral white dress) that I don't usually wear, so that's been fun too. It's like I'm meeting old friends after a long time :-).

The biggest challenge so far has been finding items of clothing that will translate well for work and play. I teach for four hours in the morning and then have my afternoons to myself, so that took some thinking. I also teach in a freezing classroom, and then go out into sweltering Louisiana weather (I avoid my apartment during the day because my A.C. can't keep up - it's just that hot).

Here are my thirty items:


Seven pairs of shoes


Six dresses
Two skirts

Two pairs of pants and two pairs of shorts

Eleven tops



I'm not going to be counting tank tops or vests as clothing in this equation. Tanks are really a form of underwear for me (I never, ever wear one by itself unless I'm chilling at home or sunbathing), and I've always counted vests as accessories since they can't really be worn by themselves, unlike blazers or cardigans. Unless, you know, you're Britney Spears or something, which I certainly am not.

I also actually started this challenge on June 13 - I'm just late in posting my stuff. I'll get it all up, I promise! I was waiting to post everything I'm wearing until I did laundry, which didn't happen until a couple of days ago since I don't have my own washer and dryer, and must therefore resort to using my parents'. It's like I'm still in college...ah well. Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment